The Commercial Pilot Licence-Unmanned Ground School courses are based on manned aviation comparisons with the necessary Unmanned Systems additions.


An intensive 3 day Ground school requirement that allows a student to attend a written examination and Flight test (4th Day) to gain a Permission For Aerial Work (PFAW) from the UK CAA. A cost of £1000  (no hidden charges) has been applied to this course. Don’t hesitate to contact for more details.

The Academy provides the Ground School Element and testing is provided by an outside Qualified Entity sanctioned by the CAA. This gives the Academy a unique position of separation and transparency which should be given to all aviation training.

The syllabus for this course covers:

  • Air Law/Responsibilities
  • UAS Airspace Operating Principles
  • Airmanship and Aviation Safety
  • Human Factors
  • Meteorology
  • Navigation/Charts
  • Aircraft Knowledge
  • Operating Procedures
  • Privacy Law

The Academy will also provide advice on necessary requirements for pre course preparation, system selection, CAA application requirements and documentation assistance. Also advice on gaining the correct level of insurance prior to commencement of operations.


 A 650 learning hours Ground School covers similar subjects to above but given the increase in aircraft size and intended BLOS operations, has more in depth content. It is the Unmanned equivalent course for ATPL required by manned aviation, mandated by EASA/JAR.

The syllabus for this course covers:

  • Air Law
  • Air System General Knowledge
  • Instrumentation/GCS
  • Mass & Balance
  • Flight Performance & Planning
  • Flight Planning & Monitoring
  • Human Performance
  • Meteorology
  • Navigation
  • Radio Navigation
  • Operational Procedures
  • Principles of Flight
  • Communications (VFR+IFR)
  • Multi Crew Cooperation

Knowledge and interest courses can also be provided on a bespoke basis, ranging from UAS general knowledge through Human Factors, including all off the subjects listed above. Please contact for more detail.

Radio Telephony: 

Essential for all air operations. The licence is required to complete the CPL-U and recommended for CPL-sU course. A full licence can be obtained with assistance of one of our local aviation partners. Enquire for more details.